Tuesday, September 3, 2013

THOUGHTS TO MY BABY BOY....

Hi there my sweet, precious, baby boy! Mama is almost “full-term” with you.  I am so excited, nervous and in awe at the process of having you grow in my heart and soon grow in my arms.  The pregnancy has been such a blessing.  I’m 38 now and never thought I would have more than three children and have more children after 30!  I never thougth about having a “large” family but you now have six sibilings waiting for you to arrive.  Oh and I cannot tell you how excited they are! Throughout this pregnancy, they have talked to my belly, kissed my belly, rubbed about ten tubs of lotion on “the baby”….I can tell you that they love you even before they have met you.  So…that means as you get older and they start to pick on you or blame you for something that THEY did, just remember that they always have and always will love you to pieces.
I’m not really sure how I’m feeling right now.  This is so bittersweet.  I know this process usually ends AND begins very very soon.  After all of the discomfort and pain and worrisome thoughts on your health and my own-things usually turn out well with a little bundle of joy (and sometimes lungs) in my arms! But I know too well, there will be more tears.  I know how it feels to miss you from the inside of me.  Not to have you to hold all to myself.  Yes, I’m selfish…if I weren’t so uncomfortable I wouldn’t want to share you with the world.  And truthfully I don’t think I really enjoy the “pain” part of labor either.  Ha ha …although with soon to be seven kids you wouldn’t THINK I mind the pain part.  Ah, I know it is sooo worthwhile.  It just takes some convincing to wrap my brain around it sometimes. 
This pregnancy comes to bless our family after several early losses.  While I stick my hand to my belly and feel a little foot prying out of my tummy I realize that all of the heartache I endured beforehand is worthy of now getting to feel you move and grow and seeing milestone after milestone in my pregnancy.  A little over a year ago I had an incident with my heart that scared the bejeepers out of me.  I was in a deep and dark place at that point.  I can remember last year at this time I was on my way into a concert and had to pack three or four bottles of medication with me because I was terribly afraid I would have another “attack”.  I couldn’t imagine being in this place at this time.  I just can’t believe how GOOD GOD is for blessing our family in this way! I can’t tell you how thankful I am for you because there really are no words.  I just hope I can live up to all of the demands of being a goody mommy to you because you are so worthy.  I have to believe God never let me go through the heartache that I have for no reason.  I believe He was preparing my heart and soul to be a grateful and thankful mother.  I realize how much I appreciate you and will never take you forgranted. 
This pregnancy has been an emotional one.  I would say the last trimester my temper has been running very hot and emotionally charged.  Along with a lot of crying…sometimes for no real reason! I hope that when you are born, you will be more patient and accepting than mommy has been.  I’ve been riddled with a lot of anxiety too.  Not sure where that is coming from.  An influx of hormones probably?  I’m hoping after you are born there is a reprive in my symptoms because I really want to take care of you to my fullest extent.  The first trimester wasn’t too terribly bad morning sickness wise.  I guess I can say that now that I am not in the thick of it anymore.  I had the most horrid gas pains all. Of. The. Time. I didn’t realize until later that it was par for the course with the progesterone.  GasX was my best friend.  Ha ha.  And I was terribly emotional in the first trimester too.  I remember at a movie, I had to run from the theater during a particularly gross part of the movie.  It was bad enough I felt awful, and on the way home made daddy pull off to the side of the road several times.  But then dad was not being as supportive as I thought he should be so I started crying uncontrollably.  I think your brothers and sisters started wondering if I were pregnant at that moment.  Other highlights of the first trimester were back pain, and cramping.  We had wanted to tell your brothers and sisters you were on your way much sooner than we did at about 15 weeks, but it wasn’t in the cards.  We had planned to tell them on Valentines Day but a horrible scare occurred at their school and we were all emotionally spent that day.  So we had to wait for a more perfect day to tell them.  This was after mom and dad went to the doctor and he declared a nice healthy looking bean was growing in my tummy! I got to see you on an ultrasound and thought you looked like a big long string bean …one with a beating heart!! Woohoo! I also had genetic testing done knowing full well that it wouldn’t change my mind about how I felt about you and found out that you had all the correct number of chromosomes.  That was a relief to my mind and heart. 
Mom had picked out baby and pregnancy related items from the dollar store.  I picked out a nursery rhyme book, earplugs (for crying relief), a baby bottle, pickles, sardines (for those crazy cravings) and Tylenol (again for crying relief).  We told your sibilings that we had an extra Valentine’s surprise to give them several days after Valentines.  We gave them all of these items and to tell you the truth they thought we had lost our minds! They politely said “thank you”, but I could tell that they were mistified about WHY in the world they got those items and there was an inkling of disappointment attached also.  After about a half hour and daddy actually starting to fall asleep, your big sister Emma guessed “wait, could it be that all of these things mean you are pregnant?” The jig was up and we told the kids that this was what we were trying to communicate.  It totally didn’t sink in for some of your brothers and sisters.  Your oldest brother said he was happy but wanted another brother….really wanted a brother.  Emma seemed most excited.  Morgen was excited but in disbelief.  She was sweet as usual.  Lauren and Edward seemed indifferent.  I don’t think it mattered one way or the other to them.  Ha ha …as it shouldn’t at their age of 5 and 2.

That was the start of my second trimester.  We struggled with a way to tell our family and daddy’s work with how happy and excited we were.  We weren’t sure how the news would be received.  We finally baked up a huge batch of pink and blue baby feet and iced them.  We sent a text saying that we hoped for one or the other in August and then daddy took the baby feet to work.  To my surprise many of the responses were very positive that I was pregnant with you.  Daddy’s work seemed very positive that you were coming into our lives.  By that point I was feeling better with the morning sickness, which was a huge relief.  In fact my hunger really picked up.  I believe I gained seven pounds in one month with you! At this point in the pregnancy I have gained officially 31 lbs.  I haven’t really gained anything this month which is really strange since I can tell you have grown a whole bunch in the last month! 

No comments:

Post a Comment